Lake Superior Medical Society Presents Annual Awards
[MMA News Now, Jan. 7, 2015] MMA Member Kenneth Ripp, MD, a family physician at the Raiter Clinic in Cloquet, recently received the Physician of the Year Award from the Lake Superior Medical Society (LSMS).
The award is given in recognition of “consistently demonstrating qualities recognized as defining excellence in medical care delivery.” Ripp attended medical school at the SUNY Health Science Center, and completed his residency at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Syracuse, NY. He has served as a past LSMS president, delegate and committeeman.
Kenneth Ripp, MD
The LSMS also handed out awards to:
- David Arvold, Jr., MD, St. Luke’s Internal Medicine, who was awarded the Thomas A. Stolee: Exceptional Dedication to the Practice of Medicine Award. This is given to a member physician who has demonstrated a lifetime of exceptional dedication to the practice of medicine.
- Douglas Wendland, MD, St. Luke’s Occupational Health, who was awarded the John B. Sanford Community Service Award. This is given to a member physician who has demonstrated exemplary service to the community through extensive volunteer activities outside the field of medicine. Wendland is recognized for volunteering for six months in Sierra Leone to help with the Ebola crisis.
- George Apostolou, MD, Duluth Internal Medicine Associates, who was awarded the Elizabeth C. Bagley Merit Award for recognition of commitment to the medical profession and the LSMS.
- John Wood, MD, Duluth Family Medicine Clinic, who was awarded the Educator Award, for recognition of excellence in teaching and education.
- David Sproat, MD, Duluth Internal Medicine Associates, who was awarded the President’s Award for recognition of personal, professional and community contributions to our profession.
- Timothy LaMaster, MD, P.S. Rudie Medical Clinic, who was awarded the 2015 LSMS President’s Gavel Plaque, in appreciation of outstanding leadership and commitment to the LSMS.
- Kenneth Dornfeld, MD, Essentia Health Radiation Oncology, was awarded the Arthur Aufderheide Scientific Award, for recognition of outstanding scientific achievements for his extensive oncology contributions to medical research.