November 2022 Advocacy Champion
Dawn Ellison, MD
- Emergency Physician
- President and Founder of Influencing Healthcare, LLC
I have always been driven to make a difference. This was modeled in my family by my mother and older brothers. It is purely selfish as it brings me joy to know that I am helping others.What health-care related issue(s) have you advocated for over the past year?
- I assisted the MMA in advocating for patient safety and physician well-being by championing Communication and Optimal Resolution (CANDOR) in the state.
- My work with Influencing Healthcare this past year has focused on giving physicians the tools they need to recover from the stresses of the pandemic; lead transparently and nimbly; and learn practices that bring joy back into their lives.
- I have been hosting the Granite Table steering committee in St Cloud. They work on social determinants of health with their mission of "Enriching lives in Central Minnesota through intentional, collaborative, and equitable action."
- Since the U.S. Supreme Court decision about Roe v. Wade, I have spoken out about women's access to healthcare.
- I am co-hosting Conversations on Race and Equity for the MMA, which offers an opportunity to learn to talk about race and equity issues in a safe place.
It is so rewarding to hear that you are making a difference in people's lives. Ask yourself what you care about and what skills you can bring to those causes. Physicians still do have a voice in their communities and can leverage that voice for the good. Believe There is Good!