The MMA continues its efforts to raise awareness of the health disparities faced by Minnesota’s minority communities with an event examining housing insecurity and health equity on July 24 from noon to 1 p.m. on the MMA’s Facebook
The event will focus on housing as a key driver and major social determinant of health. The event will examine:
- how to address housing insecurity in the clinical encounter
- how to build partnerships with community groups and other service providers to address a patient’s housing (and other social) needs
- what screening tools, interventions and other resources are available to address housing insecurity.
- Janna Gewirtz O'Brien, MD, FAAP, Adolescent Medicine Fellow, Leadership Education in Adolescent Health (LEAH) Program, Division of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Health, University of Minnesota
- Steve Horsfield, Executive Director, Simpson Housing
- Susannah King, MSW, LICSW, SW Unit Supervisor, Health Care for the Homeless
The event is being held in partnership with the Minnesota Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (MNAAP), the Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians (MAFP), the Minnesota Doctors for Health Equity, and Simpson Housing.
Earlier this year, the MMA along with MNAAP and MAFP held two other health equity events via the MMA’s Facebook