The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is conducting a study on burdens associated with reporting quality measures for Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS)-eligible clinicians participating in MIPS as an individual or as part of a group.
The study has been developed to:
- Examine clinical workflows and data collection methods using different submission systems
- Understand the challenges clinicians face when collecting and reporting quality data
- Make future recommendations for changes that will attempt to eliminate clinician burden, improve quality data collection and reporting, and enhance clinical care.
MIPS-eligible clinicians and groups who participate successfully in the study will receive full credit for the 2018 MIPS Improvement Activities performance category. Applications for this study will be accepted through April 30.
A limited number of clinicians who are not eligible for MIPS in 2018 will also be included in the study. To check participation status, please see the QPP website
The study runs from April 2018 to March 2019. Study participants will have to meet the following requirements to complete the study and receive full improvement activity credit. For participants reporting as a group, their entire group will receive credit. For participants reporting as individuals, only the participating clinician will receive credit.
- Complete a 2017 MIPS participation survey in April/May 2018
- Complete a 2018 MIPS planning survey September/October 2018
- The study team will invite selected participants to join a virtual 90-minute focus group between November 2018 and February 2019.
- Meet minimum requirements for the MIPS Quality performance category by submitting data for at least three measures in the MIPS Quality performance category, as required for 2018 MIPS participation. The data submitted must:
- Include one outcome measure
- Be submitted to CMS by the final MIPS reporting deadline (March 31, 2019)
- Be submitted through any method accepted under MIPS for year 2 of the Quality Payment Program (2018).
to apply. For more information about the study, visit the CMS website
or email MIPS_Study@abtassoc.com