The MMA has launched a mentorship program to pair pre-med students, medical students, and residents/fellows, with medical students, practicing physicians, residents/fellows, and retired physicians. See below for more information about our program, including how to sign up to be a mentor/mentee.
Mentors and mentees (with the exception of pre-med students), must be current members of the MMA.
At this time, only pre-med students from (1) the Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students (MAPS) program at the University of Minnesota and (2) Northwestern Health Sciences University are part of the MMA’s Mentorship Program. If you are a pre-med student from another group, program, college or university in Minnesota, please contact your career services program for assistance with mentorship opportunities.
(medical student, resident/fellow, practicing or retired physician)
- The mentor will connect with their mentee to set up initial mentorship goals, and follow-up according to their agreed upon plan.
- The mentor will make themselves available to connect with medical students either via email or phone.
- The mentor will answer questions and offer informal advice on some of the following topics:
- Medical school application process and navigating medical school.
- Residency application process and navigating residency.
- Specialty choice
- Professional development
- Opportunities to serve as a mentor for students in the Hands On Advocacy Project (HOA).
- If you are interested in advocacy and want to share some of this expertise and insight with medical students, we’ve love to have you as a mentor for students in HOA. Click on the Mentor application below and choose HOA.
(medical student, pre-med student or resident/fellow)
- The mentee will connect with their mentor either via email or phone to set up initial mentorship goals, and follow-up according to their agreed upon plan.
Resources for Mentors and Mentees
Sign up below if you are interested in being a part of this exciting opportunity: