Health Equity Events 2019
The MMA continues to raise awareness of the health disparities faced by Minnesota’s minority communities. Efforts include finding ways that the medical community can come together to achieve health equity in Minnesota.
In January and February 2019, the MMA, the Minnesota Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (MNAAP) and the Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians (MAFP) are partnering on a two-part health equity series via MMA’s Facebook Live.
Addressing health disparities within the Native American community
January 22, 2019 12-1pm
The event will examine the health disparities that are seen in the Native American community, and how physicians can address these disparities. The speakers will share some practical takeaways that physicians (and other providers) can implement immediately.
- Angela Erdrich, MD, Turtle Mountain Chippewa, Pediatrician, Minneapolis Indian Health Board
- Mary Owen, MD, Tlingit, Director, Center of American Indian and Minority Health, U of M Medical School, Duluth, Family Medicine, Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe Tribal Health
- Moderator: Jackie Dionne, Director of American Indian Health, Minnesota Department of Health
Structural racism and other barriers to health equity
February 20, 2019 12-1pm
The event will focus on structural racism, historical trauma and other barriers that stand between our minority communities and their ability to achieve equitable health.
- Brooke Cunningham, MD, PhD, University of Minnesota, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
- Lisa Skjefte Health Equity Specialist and American Indian Community Liaison, Children’s Minnesota
- Maria Veronica Svetaz, MD, MPH, Hennepin Healthcare
- Moderator: Christopher Reif, MD, MPH, Community Unveristy Health Care Clinic
These activities have been approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit
If you are intersted in receiving future emails about these events, please complete this form