How MMA is Working for Physicians
Learn more about how the MMA is working to make sure you are equipped to handle your patients’ and community needs during this public health emergency.
Overview of MMA Response & Activities
- MMA CEO serving on Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) COVID Advisory Committee with other business, education, health care, and childcare organization leaders.
- MMA is coordinating and communicating with state specialty society leadership.
- MMA is communicating the urgency of personal protective equipment (PPE) supplies to state and federal leaders.
- MMA is providing physicians information on how they can volunteer/help in the COVID-19 response.
- MMA has created a COVID-19 page on our website with helpful links and resources.
- MMA is coordinating our federal advocacy with the American Medical Association (AMA) on issues including PPE supply and financial protection for physicians and practices.
- MMA is increasing its communication and outreach to members of the Minnesota Congressional delegation to seek their support and offer input and guidance.
- MMA is concerned about physician and other healthcare worker health and well-being, in light of this stressful situation and we continue to explore ways to offer additional support.
- MMA has a seat on the statewide Minnesota COVID Ethics Collaborative, a multidisciplinary group composed of experts from organizations across the state including ethics, law, public health, medicine, nursing, disaster planning, and spiritual care.
- Jill Amsberry, DO, sits as the MMA representative on the Minnesota COVID-19 Vaccine Allocation Advisory Group.
- COVID-19 Impact Study: The COVID-19 pandemic has had a profound effect on the practice of medicine around the world. To gauge how the virus has directly impacted Minnesota physicians, the MMA conducted a survey from mid-June to mid-July. On Aug. 26, 2020, the MMA released survey results on the impact of the pandemic on physician practices.
The MMA coordinated with the AMA on other federal asks, which include the following issues:
- Preserving the viability of physician practices
- CPT code clarification
- Shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Expansion of Medicare coverage for certain services
- Assistance in a declaration of COVID-19 outbreak disaster or emergency under the Stafford Act or the National Emergencies Act.
- Allocation of federal funding for front-line healthcare personnel and providers
- Assistance in expanding public health capacity and access to and the availability of testing
- Assistance in providing frontline health care providers with financial support
The MMA recognizes the importance of using telehealth during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are working to ensure appropriate flexibility in payer policies.