MMA Preceptor Initiative
MMA Primary Care Physician Workforce Expansion Advisory Task Force
MMA and University of Minnesota Medical School Partnership
- One of the recommendations of the MMA’s Primary Care Physician Workforce Expansion Advisory Task Force was to increase the number of available clinical training sites in Minnesota, and examine ways to remove barriers that exist in allowing medical students to have more meaningful experiences.
- To begin this endeavor, MMA staff conducted interviews with health system leadership across the state to examine Minnesota’s clinical training sites more closely and assess how we can ensure that the capacity meets the current need.
- After assessing the data and input from the interviews, the MMA and the University of Minnesota Medical School embarked on a partnership - the MMA Preceptor Initiative. With guidance from the MMA Preceptor Initiative Advisory Group, the goal of this effort is to develop tools and resources to improve the training and support for clinical preceptors.
Clinical Preceptor Tools & Resources
- Community Preceptor Toolbox
(Created in partnership with the MMA Preceptor Initiative Advisory Group, the University of Minnesota Medical School’s Medical Educator Development and Scholarship Program (MEDS), and Jon Hallberg, MD, family medicine physician with the University of Minnesota Medical School)
- Training modules
- Preceptor and Medical Student Video Testimonials
- Preceptor Thank You Ad
- Best Practices
University of Minnesota Family Medicine Community Preceptor
Community preceptors for the University of Minnesota Department of Family Medicine and Community Health make a significant impact on the success of medical student programming. If you're a community physician, consider teaching for us.
Improving the Role of Preceptor - News
- Medical Student Documentation Changes
- Dean's Tribute to Excellence in Education Event - 2017 (University of Minnesota Medical School)
- Dean’s Tribute to Excellence in Education Event – 2018 (University of Minnesota Medical School)
- Event held on May 2, 2018
- Awardess: Kristen Helvig, MD and Byron Holth, MD
- Dean’s Tribute to Excellence in Education Event – 2019 (University of Minnesota Medical School)
- Event held on May 1, 2019
- Awardees: Donald Lee, MD and Kari Rabie, MD