Health Disparities Work Group
In January 2014, the MMA added efforts to “encourage and support physician leadership in reducing racial and ethnic health disparities” to its strategic plan. In order to address the MMA’s strategic goal related to health disparities, the MMA has convened a work group that will help guide the development of topics, resources and tools to support physicians as they combat racial and ethnic health disparities among patients in their practices.
The purpose of the MMA Health Disparities Work Group is as follows:
- Examine other roles MMA could play in assisting physicians as they combat racial and ethnic health disparities in their practices.
- Understand the various drivers behind racial and ethnic disparities in health care.
- Guide the identification and development of information, tools and resources to support physicians. Examine other roles MMA could play in assisting physicians as they combat racial and ethnic health disparities in their practices.
- Fatima Jiwa, MBChB
- LaPrincess C. Brewer, MD, MPH
- Demeka Y. Campbell, MD
- Brooke Cunningham, MD, PhD
- Brooke Dugdale (medical student)
- Deenah Farrell (medical student)
- Dionne Hart, MD, FAPA
- Lynn Hassan Jones, MD
- Alice Lehman (medical student)
- Tamiko Morgan, MD
- Stephen C. Nelson, MD
- Michael Pitt, MD, FAAP
- Chris Reif, MD, MPH
- Laurel Ries, MD
- Daniel Riley, MD
- Maria Veronica Svetaz, MD, MPH, FSAHM, FAAFP
- Steve Vincent, MD
- Juliana Milhofer, Staff
Work Group Final Report and Recommendations