Health Equity Advisory Group
In September 2016, the MMA Board of Trustees approved recommendations
from the MMA Health Disparities Work Group. These recommendations represent strategies to assist physicians in recognizing the racial and ethnic health disparities that exist, and strategies that will serve as tools for physicians as they work to address these disparities in their practices.
During the spring of 2017, the MMA began to move forward on Phase II of their efforts. In recognition of the continued need for physician leadership in addressing racial and ethnic health disparities, and achieving health equity, the MMA Health Equity Advisory Group was convened. This group provides assistance with the implementation phase of the MMA Health Disparities Work Group’s recommendations.
The purpose of the MMA Health Equity Advisory Group:
- Guide the development of education to raise physician knowledge and awareness of racial and ethnic health disparities.
- Guide the development of tips, tools and resources to assist physicians in reducing racial and ethnic health disparities in their practices.
- Examine feasibility of addressing additional long-term solutions (noted in final report of MMA Health Disparities Work Group, P.11) for (1) how to address racial and ethnic health disparities, and (2) how to have the MMA stay engaged on the issue.
- Dionne Hart, MD, FAPA - Co-Chair
- Chris Reif, MD, MPH - Co-Chair
- Fatima Jiwa, MBChB
- Brooke Cunningham , MD, PhD
- Deenah Farrell (medical student)
- Alice Lehman, MD
- Maria Veronica Svetaz, MD, MPH, FSAHM, FAAFP
- Marilyn Peitso, MD
- Laura Rathe, MD
- Juliana Milhofer, staff
Resources for Physicians