Health Equity Month (January 2018)
Background on Health Equity Month:
In January 2014, the MMA added efforts to “encourage and support physician leadership in reducing racial and ethnic health disparities” to its strategic plan. As a result, the MMA convened the MMA Health Disparities Work Group to help guide the development of topics, resources and tools to support physicians as they combat racial and ethnic health disparities among patients in their practices.
During spring 2017, the MMA convened the Health Equity Advisory Group to address racial and ethnic health disparities, and achieving health equity.
In September 2017, MMA staff proposed a proclamation to Gov. Mark Dayton’s office that would proclaim the entire month of January 2018 as Health Equity Month. In late December 2017, Dayton signed the proclamation.
The purpose of the proclamation is to “raise understanding and awareness of persistent disparities in health, well-being and socioeconomic status among Minnesota’s marginalized communities, and to encourage systematic changes so that every person has equal opportunity to attain the highest possible level of health.”
- Minnesota is regarded as one of the healthiest states in the nation, yet has some of the largest health disparities for people of color, people living in rural areas, low-income households, people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ), and other communities.
- Minnesota physicians believe that everyone should have an equal opportunity to achieve optimal health and will continue to advocate for health equity on behalf of all patients.
- Minnesota physicians recognize that factors such as health care financing, non-diverse health care workforce, living wage, housing, and public transportation impact health equity.
- Minnesota physicians recognize that racial and ethnic health disparities are also a consequence of the structural and institutional racism that exists in our hospitals and health care systems
MMA work groups:
Health Equity Month Partners:
- MMA Health Equity Online Learning Event, January 17, 2018
- MMA Health Equity Forum, January 24, 2018
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Minnesota Department of Health
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement