MMA is accepting applications for joint sponsorship on a case-by-case basis; please contact the CME department or call 612-362-3744 for more details.
What is Joint Sponsorship?
Joint Sponsorship is the process by which two organizations, one an accredited continuing medical education (CME) provider and one not, form a partnership to plan, implement and evaluate an activity approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. The Minnesota Medical Association (MMA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and is responsible for ensuring compliance with all ACCME Standards for Commercial Support and Updated Decision-Making Criteria.
The American Medical Association (AMA) and other member organizations have entrusted the ACCME with maintaining the quality of CME in the United States. The MMA must document involvement in each activity that we jointly sponsor.
Continuing medical education refers to the life-long body of education that a physician completes outside of medical school and residency. AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ is the type of credit that can be applied toward the AMA Physician’s Recognition Award (PRA) and the type of credit that physicians licensed in Minnesota must complete to receive or renew their medical license. “CME consists of educational activities that serve to maintain, develop, or increase the knowledge, skills and professional performance and relationships a physician uses to provide services to patients, the public or the profession.” (AMA 2006 Revision) Topics that do not fit within this definition such as marketing, asset management, increasing reimbursements, or art appreciation are not appropriate for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
What are the eligibility criteria to be considered for joint sponsorship with the Minnesota Medical Association?
- Corresponds to the MMA CME Mission Statement.
- Offers a program of continuing medical education primarily targeted to physicians licensed and practicing in the State of Minnesota.
- Event is located in the state of Minnesota and/or surrounding region.
- Formal planning committee with physicians based in Minnesota.
- Course Director is actively involved in the planning and entire application process.
- Demonstrate an overall organizational commitment to the continuing medical education program, including staffing resources.
- Demonstrate the capacity to substantially comply with the MMA/ACCME Essential Area Elements and Criteria.