[MMA News Now, Sept. 5, 2013]
The MMA and AMA will host a free program for residents, fellows and medical students on successfully negotiating employment contracts on Oct. 17 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Rojo Mexican Grill, 1602 West End Blvd., in St. Louis Park.
The program, “Negotiating with Confidence: Know What’s in your Contract,” will feature the AMA’s Wes Cleveland, J.D. It will offer national and local perspectives on employment contracting and recruiting. Topics include:
• Contract preparation – what to do before negotiating
• How much you can, and can't, negotiate
• Why you should retain a lawyer to review the contract
• Important employment contract terms such as: compensation, duties, relocation, termination, non-compete covenants and equity opportunities
Cleveland will be joined by three Twin Cities area experts to discuss contracting from a Minnesota viewpoint. Local speakers include:
• Claire Topp, J.D., partner, Dorsey & Whitney, LLP – “What does working with a lawyer to review your contact look like?”
• Lynne Peterson, FASPR, director, Physician Recruiting, Fairview Health Services – “An integrated health system’s perspective on the recruiting/hiring process”
• Marit Brock, SHPR, CMPE, chief human resources officer, Minnesota Gastroenterology, PA – “An independent practice’s perspective on the recruiting/hiring process”
or at the door beginning at 6:30; heavy appetizers will be provided. For more information on the event call the MMA at 612-362-3728.