MINNESOTA MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION MISSION
Criterion 1 of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) Updated Accreditation Criteria: The provider has a CME mission statement that includes all of the basic components (CME purpose, content areas, target audience, types of activities provided, expected results) with expected results articulated in terms of changes in competence, performance, or patient outcomes that will be the result of the program.
CME Mission Statement
The mission of the Minnesota Medical Association CME program is to ensure excellence in the provision of CME for physicians in order to improve delivery and quality of health care in Minnesota.
To provide access to high quality CME for physicians throughout Minnesota through sponsorship of CME activities and accreditation of intrastate CME providers. In addition to acting as a provider of CME activities for physicians, the MMA jointly sponsors CME activities with state specialty societies and component medical societies, as well as other organizations that meet the guidelines established by the MMA Committee on Accreditation and CME (CACME). Joint sponsorship is available to Minnesota physicians and to Minnesota-based organizations and their CME communities.
Content areas for MMA will be consistent with desirable physician attributes, including the Institute of Medicine Core Competencies, ACGME/ABMS Competencies, and ABMS Maintenance of Certification Program components. Topics may include the following:
- evidence-based clinical, health care delivery, public health, ethical, and medical economics issues pertinent to a broad range of physicians
- quality improvement initiatives
- practice management and leadership issues
- hospital/health system-medical staff relationship
- programs of basic science and clinical research
- CME program management
- other issues as identified by needs assessment of target audience
The primary target audience is Minnesota physicians, but it may be appropriate to invite a regional or national audience to some activities. Other health care professionals and administrators may be invited as appropriate.
Types of Activities Provided:
- One-hour to week-long live conferences, seminars, workgroups, and other educational formats to include the following:
- Sole sponsorship of CME activities on topics the MMA is uniquely suited to present
- Joint sponsorship of CME activities with specialty societies and other groups
- Sponsorship and joint sponsorship of enduring materials, including journal-based CME, Internet CME, and other formats
- Tele-video or Web-cast presentations
- Maintenance of a Minnesota “CME Calendar” in the monthly journal and on the Internet
Expected Results of the Program:
Each MMA CME activity will evaluate changes in physician competence. Where possible, changes in physician performance and/or patient outcomes may also be measured.
The MMA CACME will annually assess the overall program’s positive impact on physician competence to aid in improving the CME program.
Reviewed and revised by MMA Committee on Accreditation and CME, 05/27/08
Reviewed and approved by MMA Board of Trustees, 07/12/08
MMA ORGANIZATIONAL MISSION
(Approved by MMA Board of Trustees, 03/08/08)
The mission of the Minnesota Medical Association is to provide advocacy, information, education and leadership for Minnesota physicians and their patients.
The CME and accreditation programs directly support the MMA mission.